PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Malaysian Airlines MH370 contact lost
View Single Post
Old 28th May 2014, 06:39
hamster3null

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MrPeabody
hamster3null,

The SATCOM is powered by Left Main AC and comes on with power established.

The system will reacquire if the aircraft to satellite beam is interrupted or power interrupted. Beam interruption could be due to wing masking (large bank angle), blind spots or terrain. This aircraft is the last of the Malaysian aircraft to be fitted with dual side mounted antenna; this in itself raises some food for thought.

Side mounted systems have fore and aft blind spots (key holes). The satellite connection was lost somewhere between 17:07 and 18:03; apparently the period where some severe altitude changes were to have taken place. The course from around 18:03 to 18:22 is straight and toward the satellite; if climbing in this period, could it simply be the SATCOM is in a drop out condition?? Change direction at 18:25 and system reacquires.

Alternatively Left AC was turned off and re-established at 18:25.

My guess is a drop out condition.
The course from 18:03 to 18:22 is not exactly toward the satellite. The aircraft was going at heading 285..295 and the satellite was at the heading 262..265 and high in the sky. I just don't see a drop out condition that would result in SATCOM operation being continuously disrupted for 22+ minutes. That's why I speculate about the system being manually powered down.

Left AC being off is an interesting possibility. What other systems are there on the same circuit?