PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadets grounded?
View Single Post
Old 24th May 2014, 00:23
ACW999

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been gliding for over 50 years. I started as a staff cadet back in 1962 and went through every rank on a VGS.

A Viking glider is not a special glider it is a bog standard Grob 103 Acro. One of the problems is that the TCH no longer exists but it is still a glider and like all gliders all over the world is simple to maintain.
My experience of the engineering, that is the work done on the aircraft by the enginers at Syerston is first rate and exceeds the standard set by the TCH.
As far as many of the other comments made, I still fly gliders dressed in whatever I happen to be wearing at the time. I do a daily inspection and sign for it (once). I fly cross country and regularly take all sorts of gliders apart and put them back together.

I would be the first to agree that grounding an aircraft that has not been properly maintained is sensible. Grounding the whole fleet because a new organisation does not like the way the paperwork has been done is complete nonsense. How long would it take to visit each squadron, check each glider for serviceability and sign it up take? Days probably not, weeks certainly but months, I don't think so.

They are GRP gliders, not complicated aircraft at all. Enough of a rant, off to bed, hoping to get some gliding in tommorrow.