PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cockpit Automation - Advantages and Safety Challenges
Old 22nd May 2014, 11:24
Piltdown Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unfortunately many of today's pilots, especially outside the US, never really learn how to fly.
I don't believe this to be true. There are tens of thousands of non-US pilots who have learned to fly 'properly' having received instruction from properly motivated instructors who have chosen to instruct for a living. This means that the end product, the licensed pilot, is a better pilot. My experience of the US is that too many instructors instruct because they need flight hours - not because they want to. And are these instructing hours actually worth anything? Furthermore, these instructor are bringing little to the table because they have virtually no experience; too many appear to have just finished learning to fly themselves. Then look at the US exams. If ever there was a system that rewarded learning by rote, then this is is. Most other nations publish a syllabus, not the questions.

Now let's look at who builds these highly automated aircraft? No prizes for guessing the right answer. I can only assume that the level automation within of good old American products is just perfect!

And if we judge people by their words and actions, some of the grimmest flying in Europe is performed by the US long haul operators. These guys have forgotten what they were taught or some important were items left out of their training.

I think maybe you should be a bit more inclusive in your criticisms.

PM

Last edited by Piltdown Man; 22nd May 2014 at 17:30. Reason: Grammar & spelling