PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 20th May 2014, 21:21
Brian 48nav

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Random memories

Just come back from visiting the 'Off-spring' at Toulouse ( he works for Airbus) so a bit late with my input.

When 48 started with the Herc' we had XV 198-209 inclusive; I recall the first replacement to arrive was 307, can't remember which airframe it replaced.

Re auto-pilot; when we took the a/c to Changi they were without them but I think it wasn't as long as a year before they were fitted - we have a 48 reunion on June 21st I'll try to remember to ask if anyone can remember.

That atmospheric picture of XV179 flying along the coast looks like it the east coast with maybe Pulau Tioman in the distance.

Re ADF; The receiver IIRC was behind the port main under carriage and we had no end of problems when rained poured into it. I think it was a 'No-go item' on long sea legs with limited aids.

The only time I used Decca for real was when detached from 30 to JATE in 72-3 and it was great for dropping stand-off para' from 25000' - we ran in to the release point on a Decca line using BZN Tacan and a radar fix from LATCC MIl' to get a accurate check for 'Red-on, green-on'.

JATFOR- hmmmm! One of the reasons a few of us left at our 8-year points. The thought of flying around in 36 ship formations assisting the pongoes in resisting the Russian hordes as they swept through Germany was not as appealing as good old route trips!

Crikey, all this was more than 40 years ago!!!

Brian Wildey

Last edited by Brian 48nav; 20th May 2014 at 21:21. Reason: Add number