PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight Hours - Cold War Era
View Single Post
Old 16th May 2014, 16:48
RAFEngO74to09

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts
In 1977-1980, aircrew on the Phantom FGR2 Wing at RAF Wildenrath could get around 30 hours a month. A number who transferred in from a previous tour on the Phantom in Germany in the strike/attack/recce role were getting their 1000-hour Phantom badge part way through their 2nd tour. A major contributor to getting these hours were the MINEVALs, MAXEVALs and TACEVALs with an event occurring approximately every 4-6 weeks. During these, aircraft availability was maximized with up to 12 aircraft on a 10 AE squadron whenever it was possible to generate the in-use reserve from 2nd-line and also "arrange" for the aircraft due out to Major at RAF St Athan being retained for a few days after the replacement had been delivered. The normal modus operandi would be to have the QRA(I) aircraft + 7 others each on their own in 8 x Hardened Aircraft Shelters (HAS) and 4 x "spare" aircraft doubled up in a further 2 x HASs. It was not uncommon for each crew to get the 3 sorties allowed each day by RAFG regulations and I distinctly remember occasional waivers being obtained for a 4th sortie in a day. I also remember 92 Sqn getting more than 65 hours in one day and an average serviceability rate of 118% for a 3-day event (before the NATO rules were changed only allowing aircraft established - with tail numbers agreed at the start of the evaluation - to count).