PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Senate Inquiry
View Single Post
Old 15th May 2014, 22:03
Kharon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good work Sarcs. Nicely done. The Framer post is solid gold;

With specific reference to AIP GEN 3.3 section 2.1.1, aircraft within one hour flight time of the condition are required to be notified by air traffic control (ATC) of the existence of new operational information. Based on the information provided in the report, the aircraft should have been provided with the relevant information. If the information was not already described in a current meteorological (MET) product or Notice to Airmen (NOT AM) then ATC is required to communicate the information using the prefixed "HAZARD ALERT".
The quote above always concerns me; I wonder, is a one hour prior notification adequate?; three hours into a four hour flight your options may be limited; one hour into a four hour flight and the odds improve. I've often wondered if a HA should be 'officially' issued to all aircraft en-route to the affected aerodrome, the moment it becomes 'live'. Can't see how that would cost a lot to do, perhaps some of the ATC could advise on the nuts and bolts.

Re the Met services wrangle, haven't read it yet, but aren't the NTSB putting their foot down about meteorological services to aviation ?.