PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 300 Qantas pilots to get the chop ???
View Single Post
Old 15th May 2014, 01:02
KRUSTY 34

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
This issue is already running on some other threads, but frankly I'm surprised that AIPA didn't move on it when Joyce first announced the cuts. Ostrich, grim resignation, NFI, who knows? Hell, I even brought it up on the 330 replacement thread. Lots of discussion followed, but no real consensus.

As far as I can tell, the seeds for this situation were sown 20 years ago with the incorporation of Australian Airlines. That was the time to push for a company wide scope clause WRT overall seniority. This would have made pilot redundancies (all pilot redundancies) simply financially impossible. The result would more than likely been a freeze on recruitment and natural attrition. Within five years, they probably would be looking for more drivers! The been counters usually don't look past the next financial years spreadsheet, so its not surprising they are keen for the current course of action. The failure to appreciate the future ramifications of this are now coming to pass.

I know that hindsight is a wonderful thing, but Jesus wept, Airline Management are nothing if not predictable.

I hope something can be done, but it seems to me this train is heading for the end of the line.