PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Senate Inquiry
View Single Post
Old 9th May 2014, 20:45
Kharon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Safety statistics.

There are a couple on 'new' threads which raise some interesting questions about the new look ATSB web site and search 'philosophy'. I can't find the Sarcs post which first mentioned the 'new' system, bemoaning the loss of weekly summaries and noting how difficult it was to 'mine' the data required. I did have a whack at trying to 'navigate' through the wretched thing, only to give it up feeling slightly nauseous.

Trusting the Creampuff cock up over conspiracy system after reading the Ramble and Framer posts, I have spent some little time trying to research similar events and to generally make a honest attempt to find some 'useful' information. It's bloody hopeless – I am not one of those who can claim expertise at data mining, but can, normally, with patience (and tender words) extract the information needed; eventually. But I get the feeling that the ATSB site almost deliberately sets out to confound, the NTSB and other agencies all seem to have open, easy to navigate sites (by comparison). Some even offer to facilitate 'your research' if it's abstruse, for a modest fee (of course).

Ramble On.

It appears that the ATSB have just recently removed Aviation Weekly Summaries from their website.
Their new system is not fit for any practical purpose other than statistics.
The ATSB should take a leaf from the NTSB and list occurrences on a daily basis.

Its a valuable tool to see the nature of occurrences and what incidents are trending and at what locations.

Whomever introduced this new ATSB system demonstrates little practical knowledge of aviation operations.
The thing which prompts this post is 'Framer' doing a bit of research into the frequency with which runways are made unavailable (sudden like); probably break the data down into single runway and multiple runway airports and intersection events. It's worthwhile, even if it proves that 'statistically' the risks are low; there are those who would promote carrying an alternate and those who say it's a waste. It's tough enough to have a sensible discussion with facts, let alone without. The information sought should be readily available; it's not as though the data is not there.

Framer.
I would like to compile a list of unforecast airfield closures in Australia since the NZAA lights went out a few years back
Perhaps a Repcon; Oi, ya website is crap; howz about making it useful.

Last edited by Kharon; 9th May 2014 at 20:56.