PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The most unnecessary chute pull ever?
View Single Post
Old 9th May 2014, 17:12
Jonzarno

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pace

As I understand it, this was an early G1 so no glass PFD.

The guy was at low level in IMC in an aircraft that that was giving him confusing information.

I don't know what else, if anything, went wrong other than water in the pitot static system, but my point is that it was certainly not a reflexive pull on loss of an ASI only as claimed by your earlier post.

In those circumstances, I presume you wouldn't have pulled and probably been ok. You make your decision and he made his: I respect both positions on this.

But I do think that calling him an idiot for doing so is a bit rich!

If you are doing 50 hours in a Cirrus, please consider joining COPA and coming to a CPPP (there's one at Cambridge on the weekend of 21 June). Even the most experienced pilots find both well worth while.

SND

Neither of us knows the circumstances that he faced when he pulled the parachute.

From the account, however, we do know that he was a high time and experienced pilot so was, presumably, well familiar with partial panel work so it seems a bit unfair immediately to jump to the conclusion that he was just incompetent.

But whether he was or wasn't: he is alive and the decision to pull was his alone to make.