PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Reality v 'Contingency'
View Single Post
Old 2nd May 2014, 06:12
MaroonMan4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What I did stumble upon which might be relevant to this thread is the link below on the HCDSC's attempt to look ahead and advise on the next (S)DSR. The majority is common sense stuff that you just wonder why it takes a Select Committee to enlighten the political decision makers. However, some of the independent (?) think tanks and academics consulted put forward some bold suggestions.

Initially I baulked at one of the recommendations formally recorded for the Army to take over all Rotary Wing, less the Dark Blue and Amphibious stuff, but when I saw the overwhelming evidence suggesting that F-35 was a very expensive white elephant in comparison to Super Hornets, Hawk Eyes etc etc I realised that the next SDSR may see some bold political decisions.

I most certainly am not going anywhere near the whole Carrier, F-35, should we, shouldn't we debate. What I am saying is that maybe the 'Arab Spring' and Ukraine may re-align the politicians decades of blinkers and manipulation to finally recognise that the world is MORE unstable, with asymmetric, cyber and terrorist warfare not the only threat to this country in the coming years. Also, when Mr & Mrs Joe Bloggs either have their gas (from Russia) turned off or having to pay through the roof prices for either energy, food or both, then the British public might just recognise the value of a true cross spectrum Defence capability.

Handing over all our Rotary Wing to the Pongoes (even more than the current JHC/Army HQ arrangement) fills me with dread, BUT if the next SDSR is truly strategically led, with a long term view (10 years +) then I welcome the open transparent discussions, without emotion, or patronage, or nostalgia. Whether that is the Fisheads losing their beloved F-35 or us losing our Rotary Wing, if it is genuinely in the interests of the country, then I am willing to listen (rather than throw my teddies out of the cot and vote with my feet).

http://www.publications.parliament.u.../197/197vw.pdf

Last edited by MaroonMan4; 2nd May 2014 at 08:46. Reason: Deleted original first paragraph as it was irrelevant to this thread