Thread: Winding Down
View Single Post
Old 29th Apr 2014, 21:57
alisoncc

Winding Down

Had intended to play golf today - club comp. But woke well over an hour too early, with my right knee letting me know that it had no intention of joining me on the golf course. Whilst the UK always seemed to gradually change seasons - gliding gently from Winter into Spring, thence Summer and Autumn, Australia is very different. Here we seem to go from Summer to Winter almost overnight. This transition seemingly occurring over the last week to ten days. Yes, two weeks ago it was the height of Summer, today there is an expectation of snow, with scarves, gloves and overcoats at the ready.

In previous times, before calendars became commonplace, peoples ages were often quoted in the number of Winters they had been around. Thus someone might be said to be a person of fifty Winters. Having turned seventy in January, this will be my seventy first Winter, and with other bits of me like my right knee choosing to mutiny, wonder how many more Winters I have left. Even this early in the season this one seems to be having a far more significant impact than others.

The King Jame Bible quotes "The days of our years are threescore years and ten; and if by reason of strength they be fourscore years, yet is their strength labour and sorrow; for it is soon cut off, and we fly away". I have a very real sense that this still applies. Many more of us may make it to seventy, but that doesn't necessarily mean we are any more capable when we do.

Would be nice to think that mortality tables might give an indication of life expectancy for those turning seventy, but fit and healthy acquaintances are quite likely to pop their clogs tomorrow. Whereas those who spend hours leaning on a bar with cigarette in hand might last another twenty five years. One size doesn't fit all. It's all very well for octogenarians here crowing about there achievements, but how many of their lifelong acquaintances are still around to share their memories?

Even with all of our medical advances, I am beginning to accept the fact that after seventy life does start winding down. The big spring in my life clock is far from broken, but there's not a lot of tension left in it, and there's lots of odd creaking noises in the movement. So after threescore years and ten is it preferable to cease being so competitive, to take every day as it comes, or to keep fighting and go out in a blaze of glory? When you turn seventy should you stop buying green bananas?