PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 1869 (Middlesbrough) Squadron ATC Long Service
Old 22nd Apr 2014, 05:54
Old-Duffer

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
Nutloose,

Perhaps surprisingly, there was a good deal of moaning from those who were formerly recipients of the medal, rather than the cross. There was a certain degree of 'exclusivity' about a DFM or an MM for example.

Two other comments were ( and possibly still are): the continuation with the old medal titles eg Military Cross, led to confusion and it would have been better to have had new titles, as was the case with the Conspicuous Gallantry Cross (CGC). Second, and a point aimed at the RAF I suspect, is that the opportunity to win - say - a DFC as an NCO was reduced because in general, it would only be helicopter rear crew who might reach 'the bar' set. Whilst there have been a couple of AFCs and at least one QGM - search and rescue -, I think the last gallantry award to non commissioned aircrew in the heat of battle goes back to Gulf War One and that can't be right given the performance of the guys and gals involved. Whilst not wishing to follow our US brethren (I always thought 'medal of the month' had something to do with golf) perhaps an award such as the Air Medal, might be worth considering for repeat tours. The Accumulated Service Medal doesn't quite 'do it' for me.

Old Duffer