PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAAF Flight Screening Programme
View Single Post
Old 20th Apr 2014, 11:49
josephfeatherweight

Received 53 Likes on 22 Posts
Hi CT,

Sounds like you've done ok so far. Well done. You wouldn't be the first and you won't be the last to struggle to put into words why you want to fly faster than the speed of sound at low level or perform a rescue in a SeaHawk in heaving seas. But, motivation is a MASSIVE part of your likely success on Pilots Course - so, you do need to be REALLY motivated. If you struggle on course, the first thing they are likely to question is your motivation.
And, to jump through the hoops to get the chance at a crack, you're going to need to give some examples, as you've noted, to convince those assessing you that you indeed do have the motivation to succeed on a VERY challenging and testing course. More challenging these days than went I through, I'm sure. So, the kind of examples you need to think about, need to focus on acknowledging that the road will be tough, but the outcome more rewarding than you can imagine.
Fast jet examples:
- I want to lead a 4-ship of Hornets on a mission - why? The responsibility, the challenge to make it "just right", feeling of accomplishment after a successful debrief and, for the fun of it. I reckon "fun" is a genuine motivation - but perhaps save that for a pilot asking you questions, maybe not the psych.
- I want to conduct air-to-air refuelling in poor weather at night - what a challenge! Single pilot, all the responsibility to ensure a successful refuel or no mission success.
- Chicks dig it.
Navy helo examples:
- I want to drop SF on a drug ship in crap weather which results in the successful apprehension of pirates/druggie scum/etc.
- I want to rescue someone at sea in horrendous weather, keep my crew safe and return at top speed with medical casualties to a tough landing on a pitching deck at night. Who wouldn't want to do that?
- Chicks dig it (but less so than for Air Force pilots...)
You need to live and breath aviation - show you know about everything going on in the RAAF (e.g. MH370 search - how do those crew sound talking to the media about their involvement) or RAN. Overall, think about the things you'd like to achieve as a pilot in the ADF and then think about all the facets that make up such an achievement. Maybe some other current crew can chime in with real life examples of what they've done.
Good luck.
* Disclaimer - "Chicks dig it" - may not be relevant if you're a chick.