PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAAF Flight Screening Programme
View Single Post
Old 19th Apr 2014, 11:33
ContinueTesting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions about Motivations

Hey all,
I'm new to the forum. I finished and passed Assessment Day last Tuesday and now am waiting for a call to Flight Screening. I want either RAAF fast jets or Navy.
I had a few questions, in particular to those who are currently in the force.

One thing the Psych drilled me about was my motivation for flying. We spent about half of the interview on this; he kept asking "why do you want to be a pilot" and my (main) answer which didn't satisfy him was "I've always wanted to be"-I hadn't really thought about it, I just knew that this was what I wanted. His argument was based on the fact that I hadn't done any flight experience (I'd thought about it but on the RAAF website it says they neither recommend nor do not recommend civilian flight training. As it was expensive and money isn't exactly flowing I'd opted not to do any). However after I managed to tell the DFR interviewer every single detail about ADFA and flight training, he ended up recommending me. I don't know how strongly.

1. Do you think this "motivation issue" would adversely affect my application too much?

2. What are some good reasons to want to be a pilot? All I can think about is that I really really love flying but apparently that's not an answer. What are some of you guys' reasons?
I need some by OSB or I'm screwed...

Cheers,
ContinueTesting