PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The landing and judging height.
View Single Post
Old 18th Apr 2014, 04:43
Desert185

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
India Four Two

2. Are 180s and 185s difficult to three-point?
I've had my 185 since 2000, and I normally wheel land it tail low at touchdown, rolling it up on the mains when it does touch. Visibility is enhanced, making it easier to maintain directional control on a narrow runway. I also feel I have better directional control in a crosswind in using brakes to assist in keeping it straight. When the tail touches (at a slow speed), I retract the flaps to keep flow over the tail and assist in the always desired directional control. Adding VG's has also improved rudder control. Its the way the airplane should have been delivered from the factory.

I live and fly mainly in the mountains. Making a three-pointer with flukey winds isn't the best scenario, but I do land that way occasionally. FWIW, I learned wheel landings before three-pointers (during the '60's). That was just the way it happened.

Frankly, I think the setup for a ground loop is light and variable wind (with flaps down) when one's guard is down, so NEVER let your guard down or the airplane will rub your nose in it.