PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Malaysian Airlines MH370 contact lost
View Single Post
Old 11th Apr 2014, 18:44
TessCoe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For all the talk of data dumps and CVR's uploading in real time a LOT of people seem to be missing certainly 3 issues I can immediately think of....

1. Who stores all these data dumps? I'm 100% certain that CN (to name but one) aircraft will not want their data uploaded to some data centre in Washington State or Virginia.....So you now have the issue of non centralised storage under local jurisdiction and associated variances in collection/storage rules and procedures.

2. Given 1 above how long before certain nations start to insist their data is encrypted prior to uplink and the jurisdiction issues with key release.

3. If anyone doesn't believe that all that data wouldn't be a prime target for some smart/malicious hackers you've not been following what's actually going on in the real world much. I can just imagine some inflight conversation between Captain and FO about a fault on engine 3 being released onto the web and the impact it has on Somenamelessnations National Flag Carrier business.

Location data uploads make sense, some technical data uploaded makes sense, little else is really needed in 99.99999% of the time.