PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Malaysian Airlines MH370 contact lost
View Single Post
Old 10th Apr 2014, 14:03
Ian W

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mm43
Lets get it clear, once and for all time. Submarines of whatever color have never been designed for doing what is required in these circumstances.

The French sent L'Emerauld (a nuclear sub) to aid in the initial search for AF447. The first problem that had to be addressed was that their sonar detection was not aligned to the ULB frequency of 37.5kHz. That with some software updates and testing on another Rubic class sub was achieved. Probably too late in the calendar of events.

So, other than making use of their sonar, providing it can address the task, subs are of no particular benefit when comes to searching for aircraft that have become seacraft or any such like UFOs.
I would have thought that the submarine would be told to keep well clear and not distort things while purpose built ULB locators do their work. Not to mention the problems with staying clear of a few kilometers of cable.

Once the ping location has been narrowed down as much as possible and the search moves to sonar searches of the bottom, then the submarine may have a use as a faster way of carrying out a 'quick and dirty' search for metallic debris on the sea bed. But I doubt if their work and results or not will be publicized they are not called the silent service for nothing.