PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Habsheim
Thread: Habsheim
View Single Post
Old 10th Apr 2014, 07:12
Owain Glyndwr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@ OK465
The simulations appear to be well conducted and reasonably high fidelity with respect to that specific aircraft and incident....but as previously noted, the plots not so much. In addition to the pitch attitude inaccuracies, I particularly like the Pg 13 IAS plot that is moved upward halfway thru the simulation and connected with a vertical dashed line.

I think there's possibly a little more pride taken in these type of presentations nowadays.
I take your point, but I do wonder if we aren't being a little harsh when we judge a 1988 presentation by the standards of reproduction equipment available today.

The four "simulator" charts bear all the hallmarks of having been produced on an analogue pen recorder - the sort where paper is drawn past a line of pens which move only transversely across the paper. To analyse the data subsequently one had to annotate and add scales by hand so these are inevitably "untidy" compared to a printed version.

To add to the misery the gridlines on the plotter paper were, IIRC, printed in a delicate shade of pink, which was great if you were reading directly off the plotter paper but which all but disappeared when passed through the sort of copying machine then available.

Both these "faults" are present in the published charts, but they could have been then state of the art

About 10 more seconds of the sim plot on Pg 13 might have been interesting and actually I don't see where it would have cost anything to continue it to purported alphamax and present it. The sim was already set up and rolling.
I agree it would have been interesting, but it would have been open to the accusation that the extra data was speculative. As it stands the plot stops when the DFDR records stop, so is appropriate for a formal accident report.

I would guess that the extension you advocate was looked at - in fact the BEA report (p.15) talks about "other studies", but these were treated as background material.

If one is prepared to speculate a little it is possible to get some idea of what might have happened - check your PMs.