PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cathay Pilots honoured
View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2014, 19:51
moosp

Cool as a moosp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The accident report reads like an impossible task. Only superb airmanship saved the aircraft and the lives of the crew and passengers.

It is appalling but very predictable that CX senior management decided to ignore this award. The board appear to do everything they can to denigrate the skills and competence of the pilot (and engineering) workforce in an ever increasing attempt to destroy pilot and professional self esteem. I assume it is based on the notion that if you can convince the pilots and line staff that they are worthless, they can be paid and treated as such.

As was mentioned above with respect to Capt. Sulley, the management of American squeezed the maximum public relations advantage out of that incident, leaving the American public to assume that the entire pilot workforce of American Airlines was like him. A brilliant, if slightly dubious, PR recovery.

Knowing most of the fleet management of CX I am sure that most of them tried to push it upstairs to get at least some support for this. This would have been stopped at either DFO or Board level. Yes, I know it is IFALPA and they are, God forbid, a UNION organisation but they do more research, development and implementation of flight safety and the improvement of aviation structures than any other organisation outside of NASA and the NTSB. CX then goes on to take the free benefit from this research.

Many people are alive today because these pilots had superior skills, knowledge and training, and not just that gained from their CX experience. As we see with MH370, the cost of a hull loss in human, logistics and public relations costs is massive, and may break an airline.

That senior management of CX do not see the advantage of a skilled line workforce is one of the fundamental aspects as to why CX is now losing market share to airlines who do.