PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wing Commander Spry
View Single Post
Old 27th Mar 2014, 17:42
binbrook

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SS Dinghies

Sorry to keep on about this, but it is over 55 years since Marsh made his eminently sensible suggestion in Air Clues, and it is 48 years since Wg Cdr Spry's grandfather was sent (through the proper channels of course) an example, made just as Marsh described, which actually WORKED! The SS liferaft on the RFD website doesn't appear greatly different from what we sat in in the 70s, and I just wondered whether the shocked and shivering user now has the means to pump out the 3 gallons of seawater in there with him/her, or still has to use body heat to warm it all up. If Spry won't/can't tell me, does anyone know?

Chugalug2, I fear nothing changes. The mod programme to bring the Mk1 seat up to its final standard -was it GL/90Kt? - proceeded at glacial pace until there was another unnecessary fatal, in an unmodified aircraft, and only a little earlier a BoI into a fatal could be found recommending that formal instruction in shallow-dive marking using Canberras (at night naturally) should be introduced. How long did it take to get rid of the infamous 3-needle altimeter?