PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Have around 300 pilots left RYR lately?
View Single Post
Old 25th Mar 2014, 20:05
boyo975

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Worked for both, almost equal time (about 6 years), captain throughout so maybe I can add a little objectivity.

Which one is best? They are both such huge companies, the spectrum is very wide within both.

Both have excellent people working for them, the actual job is much easier in easyjet as the tools are provided to do it properly. But on the other side, I've shared the flightdeck with far more interesting people in Ryanair (and learnt much more about different cultures). The opportunity to climb to various roles are much easier in Ryanair but rewarded much better in easyjet. Routes are now similar so there's not much difference there, they weren't historically and the number of circle to land in 6 years at easy is equal to a month at Ryanair. The ferocity of the operation is definitely different (it felt like hitting the stops when I changed company), and fudging of times to appease the OTP doesn't exist in easy! I'm definitely more relaxed and less fatigued.

Financially, I'm much better off simply because of the union. The reason for leaving one and joining the other was not financial, but I was on a good contract and I realise that things have gone South significantly since I left.

I made lifelong friends whilst at Ryanair, and support their fight to improve T&Cs. This fight is paramount to setting the benchmark and is in everyone's interest. We must rejoice that we have another competitor to keep both giants on their guard. From the friends I have that have joined Norwegian, they seem very happy and their future looks very interesting.

Would I jump ship again? I don't think so, unless they make it much more attractive and their future looks more secure. I'm happy with my lot.

P.S airbus over Boeing any day of the week!