PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Direct Entry Pilots for KQ
View Single Post
Old 22nd Mar 2014, 03:32
Donateloh009

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
....tow the line....

Yes we may have difference of opinion and I will not say you are wrong, but there are examples of people who didn't tow the line and sooner or later it caught up with them. Talk personally to your pals in KQ and they may give you these stories. Best thing is to learn from them.
I studied abroad and when I got to Wilson I was appalled by especially what they termed as INSTRUMENT RATING. Don't get me wrong in that they aren't qualified pilots, a good number are. But I towed the line, made sure I lost my 'weng' as it was bound to act negatively towards me. And you know what, it worked! I got offered four jobs while other people had been looking for so long even years.
You have to look at the whole genesis of the issue. Lack of facilities has resulted into there being only Route 1 and Route 3. Since this is also what the former military seniors currently at Wilson used during their training in their yester years, they still believed it was and still is adequate. Suitable in this day and age, no. Ask someone who did some IR training in Wilson then went to a Part 141 school in states or even flying at JAR. and because we have been taught to tow the line, we blindly say yes. Many pilots are ex military and even though retired, when you meet your commanding officer, you should see them salute!
KCAA is another mess with their exams albeit they have improved but there is more to be done. Most recent but I haven't confirmed rumour is In the CPL and ATPL exams guys no longer can use the CX5 calculator because it's programmable !!? and as if people still navigate using great circle! That's bloody ancient! Then why ask about weather for Britain and Moscow and some exotic latitudes that aren't practical. We all follow GPS or VOR ....and in Africa, ADF are still active. But that is it. Great Circle projections.WTF!!!??....if you ask KCAA, they say if other guys passed it, why can't you? And since you are the talkative one, you will be singled out, then have issues getting your licenses and probably just be failed to frustrate you. The head of KCAA Is retired Military....and in the military you don't question orders. Are you gutsy to write to him and tell him these things? Am not. Am not the first to have noted these things but why haven't other more older people been vocal....
My advice, as earlier said, learn about people's past mistakes if you have friends at Wilson, and you will see why even people yearning to change our Aviation industry tow the line....saving ourselves for the good fight where we know we will make an impact! Looking forward to your thoughts...