PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Malaysian Airlines MH370 contact lost
View Single Post
Old 19th Mar 2014, 00:39
papershuffler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Be transparent" could mean anything up to "we know exactly what happened to the airplane and we know that you know. And we are giving you a chance to announce it first." Just saying.
Yep, but with the amount of verbal 'misunderstandings' there have been so far, are you sure they'll understand what the US are saying?

That is a valid position to take, as it is their airline, and the flight originated in their capital. A number of nations will doubtless be happy to assist. The UK and US are obliged to since Engines and Aircraft were built in those two nations.

Therefore, UK and US will be none too interested in a cover up. What they'll want is an actual investigation. My experience with morals and ethics in the third world advises me that this requires some effort to elicit, and pressure at time not to fall into the same old same old corruption that a certain airline captain was vocally against.
Very much an understatement; IME, I would have said nigh-on impossible. Records are 'lost' and witnesses disappear. Legal proceedings take years. Letters go amiss. No one returns your calls. People virtually laugh in your face. Sometimes it doesn't even take a third world country for this to happen.
Without considerable international pressure, I don't have faith in important evidence (e.g. maintenance records) making it to the investigative team, whoever and wherever they may be.

We've seen it all before; as time goes by, the shock will abate and career- and face-saving will take precedence, if it hasn't already.

It will be interesting when/if the fate of MH370 is finally discovered, how much involvement the Malaysians wish to take in the proceedings.

(Personal opinion/suspicion: if it hadn't been (more-or-less) confirmed that the FO Fariq Abdul Hamid was the last voice heard and therefore still alive, I suspect the negative stories discrediting Capt Zaharie would have gathered more pace...)

Last edited by papershuffler; 19th Mar 2014 at 03:58. Reason: extra word deleted/moved to make sense