PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - light aircraft maintenance
View Single Post
Old 15th Mar 2014, 15:50
Crash one

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would recommend that you join the LAA then join your local "Strut/club". Find out who the resident LAA inspector/engineer is and ask him, I am quite sure you will be welcome. Depending on your relationship with your engineer, if you own a Permit aircraft you could well be allowed/encouraged to carry out virtually all of the maintenance under his supervision/guidance/sign-off.The average spam can or Permit aircraft is no more complex to maintain than a 1960s classic car.

If you rent club aircraft, maintained through CofA, Part M etc, you will not be allowed near it and you will learn nothing .

An example: a friend of mine in a syndicate of 8, a Cessna 152. Faulty oil temp gauge. Gauge replaced, (eventually) by local CofA maintenance outfit cost: ~£800, shared between them.

My own (sole owner) Permit aircraft, vacuum gyro compass, (DI) not working.
Venturi tubes removed, all pipe work replaced, Venturi tubes stripped of paint, oil, muck, and repainted. Instrument removed from panel, air inlet filter found blocked, removed, cleaned, replaced. All reassembled. Test flown, all perfect.
Total cost: £16 including purchase of a mini pipe bender. All work done by me, checked & approved/signed off by my inspector.