PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Malaysian Airlines MH370 contact lost
View Single Post
Old 14th Mar 2014, 20:55
JamaicaJoe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honeywell ELT battery??? Anyone??

I have heard so much about ACARS/Inmarsat, Transponder, Voice communications etc, bit NOTHING about the lack of any ELT transmission, not even a blip.

I understand this is possibly a water crash the ELT antenna blocked, but nothing has been discussed or explored.

My theory, as weak as it may be is that the ELT battery (which was subject to an AD if it was the Honeywell) could have burned and caused adjacent wiring to burn and cascade into short circuits on adjacent circuits.

A small fire such as this could have distracted the flight crew, switching off non-essential circuit breakers including those for the ACARS modem (not the Inmarsat transceiver) and Transponder.

Communications with the ground would have been very last thing on their minds apart from setting a return course waypoint. Possibly the smoke became so bad they perished and the fire self extinguished to the point that flight controls and engines were unaffected. The plane flew itself until it ran out of fuel and crashed.

Further thoughts. The last radar returns and the last Inmarsat pings are (within some degree of tolerance) possibly co-located. If MH370 ditched in the sea, what of the possibility that the Inmarsat terminal remained powered on battery even though the fuselage was now flotsam? This might explain hours of pinging that was reported. Bear in mind that no reports of pinging at other longitudes have been reported. The plane very well may have been largely intact before submerging which would explain lack of debris field. Furthermore the senior pilot may have been quite skillful and pulled of a nearly successful ditching. I still wonder about the lack of ELT transmission and possibility of it being the fire source or maybe it was submerged.

Last edited by JamaicaJoe; 18th Mar 2014 at 00:22. Reason: Adding info.