PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Truss: Aviation Safety Regulation Review
View Single Post
Old 11th Mar 2014, 23:42
Creampuff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
… They will all have what they will tell you, justification for their differences to the ICAO to which they are all signatories, how does that work?

We here have been endlessly educated and berated about the fact that Australian air is somehow different to that in North America and Europe and that we are a world leader.

it is not and we are not, by any definition. …
The ‘air’ may be the same, but Australia’s topography and climate are not the same as other countries’. Consequently, for example, there is no safety justification for Australia to strictly comply with ICAO runway width standards that are designed to deal with ice, snow and other contaminating phenomena that are rarely, if ever, encountered at Australian airports.

Nor is Australia’s health system the same as other countries’ and (with the stark exception of CASA recently) health risk decisions in Australia are based on truly expert opinions and truly objective data. Consequently, for example, there is no safety justification for Australia to strictly comply with ICAO colour vision standards, which are merely a hangover from the purely coincidental adoption of the maritime ‘rules of the road’ and navigation aid system for aviation, over a century ago.

I started singing ‘Kumbayah’ by the end of this paragraph:
All reviewed and written in "plane talk" by a panel of industry peers and free of tortuous legalese. Most importantly simple enough for pilots, users and the public to understand, that you don't have to go hunting through a dozen different documents to find that there as actually 2 or 3 different answers, then you can shop for the result you need. …
How could we have been so stupid? The solution was staring everyone in face! Just get “a panel of industry peers” to do a “review” and all will be solved.
[I] reckon 12-18 months to finish the process to everyones satisfaction would not be out of bounds.
I reckon you’re deluded.

The RRP has been 12-18 months from completion for over a decade.

CASA’s left all of the hardest bits to last. For example, if you think classification of operations rules are going to be agreed and tied in a nice plain English bow by ‘a panel of industry peers’ this side of the end of the decade, if ever, I’ve some cheap shares in the Brooklyn Bridge for you.