PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Malaysian Airlines MH370 contact lost
View Single Post
Old 11th Mar 2014, 14:58
slats11

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If the plane flew on, I have some doubts about 180 turn and overflying Malaysian peninsula.
1. Although late at night, it was early in the flight. Many passengers would have been awake, and crew may have been doing meal service. People would have noted a 180 turn, even if gradual - although I think the moon had just set.
2. Some people would have been watching flightplan on their TV. Yes the inflght entertainment could have been turned off, but then you heighten suspicion that things are not right.
3. If they crossed the peninsula, I suspect some people would have tried to make a call on their phone. Even if they believed it was a routine turn back for minor tech problem. Especially if they feared something worse. 9/11 changed how people respond to these events - people are less inclined to sit back, do what they are told, and hope for the best.
4. Very difficult to totally subdue 220 uncooperative people, confiscate phones etc

Many passengers don't turn off their phone or even put in flight mode. Just put it on silent so don't get caught. Be interesting to know if any passenger phones tagged a network (ie connected to network even if no call made) - I am sure this has been checked out.

My guess is that someone turned off comms and transponder, flew plane somewhere, and then crashed. More likely a pilot than a hijacker - if only because a hijacking would be more likely to be noted by passengers, things would have become unmanageable, and we would have a crash closer to LKP. And I suspect more likely that the plane never overflew land.

Hopefully some closure for the relatives soon.