PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MT Coposit Prop for PA28 series
View Single Post
Old 10th Mar 2014, 06:58
Aviater

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If your operating from a gravel runway/taxiways and stone damage is a problem, the single worst choice for a prop would be an MT prop in my opinion. I've pulled the same MT prop off an aircraft of similar stature aircraft 3 times between annuals for it to be repaired due stone damage.

They are a fantastic prop in regards to weight and performance and they have no real throw away TBO/clalender time because they can always be rebuilt. However, your metal prop will take absolute punishment and continue in service (in most cases) whereas a single stone chip will render your MT U/S and require repair. FYI no workshops that I'm aware of will replace a leading edge on wing. Instead it will have to be removed, sent for repair which is not simply a case of sticking on a new leading edge. You'll get a bill for removal/installation and a bill from the prop shop for repair.

For the kind of dollars you'll spend on your composite during it's life, you could instead get a single life out of a metal prop and buy a new one at TBO.

I really do like the props that MT make. The performance numbers are outstanding and they look fantastic. Fairly quiet too in most installations that I've had experience with.

An excellent product. But better suited to some installations and for others not so much.

Cheers