PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAAF Flight Screening Programme
View Single Post
Old 1st Mar 2014, 17:40
josephfeatherweight

Received 52 Likes on 22 Posts
Alec, you should be applauded for doing your best to provide some helpful advice to potential ADF aviators - however, despite your best intentions, not all of what you've offered above, is correct. Unfortunately, it is possible to be taught bad habits at some flying schools, even at an early stage. I do agree that the potential for "cementing" bad habits comes later on in your aviation life (eg PPL as you say) but I have seen some appalling instruction from civilian instructors that would not put a potential ADF candidate in good stead. Granted, this is of course rare, but some of the emphasis that the ADF places on different aspects of aircraft handling (eg aircraft attitude) doesn't get the same emphasis in civilian aviation. Please note, I am being "general", I am sure (and know) there are numerous exceptions.
I think there is a "happy medium" when it comes to previous experience. Yes, I highly recommend aerobatic experience - if only to see if you like it and can manage to do it without feeling insanely sick - don't worry if you do initially, most people do, you need to see if you can get over it!
Failing that, even a candidate with significant previous experience can do well, provided they have the right attitude. (Possible pun intended...)
Unfortunately I have no exact number for the "happy medium" level of experience! Of course it will vary with each individual...
Good luck!

Last edited by josephfeatherweight; 1st Mar 2014 at 22:19.