PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAAF Flight Screening Programme
View Single Post
Old 1st Mar 2014, 04:25
alec taylor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think there is a misconception in regards to flying time. From the recent few posts and from my application it's evident that picking up bad habits is the biggest reason to not get a large amount flying experience. I believe not having some experience is highly unwise. Your not going to pick up bad habits from any flying school, sure they're not going to teach you exactly how the raaf would but the lessons they teach are still worthwhile. Bad habits start to be.formed when you have your ppl and flying solo in the country, you start to cut corners, not from having less than 20 hours from a flying school. My recommendation to anyone serious in joining the adf as a pilot is flying hours. The.more the better, if you pay for your lessons it shows excellent motivation. If money is a problem I recommend doing aerobatics. Sure you won't get as many hours but the flying itself is more valuable. I would rather have 5 hours aerobatics than 20 hours straight and level. Aerobatics teaches you excellent hands and feet coordination aswell as becoming accustomed to the environment of pulling g and strange attitudes. To recap, get as many hours as possible, preferably aerobatics. Any decent amount of hours, around 10, proves your keen to fly. Bad habits are simply not a concern with such few hours, sure you may have to forget a few things and just do as your told but not much of an issue.

Good luck with all your applications I hope this helps. Cheers, Alec