PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight school now and pay later has to stop
Old 24th Feb 2014, 10:16
peterc005

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The world has changed. Tiger Moths are no longer a popular primary trainer, Avgas no longer costs 20 Pence a gallon and CFIs are no longer former Lancaster pilots. Alas, the regular Ppruners never change.

The integrated Uni flying courses are here to stay. I've seen some pretty average people come out of these courses, but also some very impressive pilots.

Large, quality and systems focused, employers probably like uni graduates who have more of a known and homogenised product. Ideally a uni degree will give the graduate additional analytical and communications skills that could give them a broader role than just flying a plane.

Having a degree may be a good insurance policy for the pilot too, giving them a step up the academic ladder in case a future career change is necessary.

One reason for low ENTER scores in some aviation courses is that that take a lot of direct-entry students. I've seen a few mature-age airline LAMEs in these courses who want a pilot career.

A couple of years ago I did some training with an excellent G3 instructor who was a freshly minted Oxford/Swinburne graduate. Turned out he had a near perfect ENTER score and could have done Medicine but wanted to be a pilot.