PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CSA China Southern!
View Single Post
Old 18th Feb 2014, 21:01
ELAC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
According ICAO and FAA you are incorrect.

The International Civil AviationOrganization, definition is: "The pilot responsible for the operation and safety of the aircraft during flight time.

"Flight time for airplanes is defined by the U.S. FAA as "Pilot time that commences when an aircraft moves under its own power for the purpose of flight and ends when the aircraft comes to rest after landing.
Mastema,

I see nothing in either citation that supports your contention that two pilots can be concurrently logging PIC time for the same flight hours, Following your logic, should not the first officer also log PIC time whenever you step out of the cockpit for a call of nature?

In any event, if you wish to believe that it is so then by all means go ahead and put it into your logbook that way. I'm curious, though, about if, when you head off to your next employment interview (and there will almost certainly be a next one, no job in China is a secure one) you will clearly disclose that those PIC hours were logged when someone else was the pilot with final authority and responsibility over the flights?

I don't see that many offers where a B737 CPT will be hired as a B777/B787 CPT with the conditions, salaries and bases offered at CSA.

Sure there a lot of contracts as PIC for rated and current pilots on their fleet. But to transition to long haul from short haul without touching the right seat of the boat is not that easy... except maybe EK when they opened the gate last year for those willing to move to the desert.
737lpa,

Well, that's a different kettle of fish now, isn't it? There are precious few opportunities to get something for nothing. If you want to be based at home, be paid large dollars and be trained on newer/bigger equipment there's bound to be a price to be paid somewhere.

Nothing wrong with that in itself, but if one decides to take the goodies and then wishes to paper over the price by rationalizing that the flight time spent with somebody else in command still qualifies as PIC time in one's logbook I'd suggest that you'd be stepping out onto thin ice.

Enjoy the job if you take it, but if you have no previous experience in China take heed that in the event of the unusual (and at times even just the same old, same old) things will not unfold in the cockpit quite as you might expect them to. If you are not the pilot with the final authority you may find things become distinctly uncomfortable (if for no other reason than that the whole discussion about the problem will take place in Chinese) and that your input is of little relevance to the outcome.

Regards,

ELAC