PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Habsheim
Thread: Habsheim
View Single Post
Old 16th Feb 2014, 17:34
Chris Scott

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
gums,

To repeat myself, the tricky scenario HN39 and I were discussing was not the go-around, but the planned fly-past at an AoA of alpha-max, using manual thrust to maintain height by keeping the IAS at Valpha-max. This would involve a delicate balancing act of thrust that doesn't apply in the case of the go-around.

As HN39 first pointed out: with the stick already fully back, the only way to arrest a descent (perhaps due to a tailwind shear) would be to add thrust. You are wrong to say that no extra lift is required to initiate recovery from a descent (or, for that matter, start a climb from level flight). As I stated in a previous post, any increase of FPA requires a temporary increase in Nz (normal acceleration), which can only be achieved by increasing the lift. With the AoA already at the maximum permitted, the extra lift is dependent on extra IAS or an increased vertical component of thrust.

Once the new FPA is established, the lift requirement reduces somewhat, but the higher pitch-attitude reduces the vertical component of the wing lift.

Hope that makes sense! When compared with what we airline guys are used to, it's worth remembering that in this case we are dealing with the very edge of the flight anvelope.