PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Police helicopter crashes onto Glasgow pub
Old 14th Feb 2014, 17:18
auldlassie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pilot not incapacitated

To answer Lemain's comments re the pilot's capacity, I do recall reading a page on the net shortly after the time of the pilot's funeral which gave some (very little) information from his post mortem regarding cause of death. The official post mortem had to be filed somewhere according to law -seem to recall it was Rutherglen Health authority or Rutherglen District Council -sorry I cannot re-find the link -which stated that cause of death was, not surprisingly, injuries sustained in the crash and importantly (IMO) noted that they found no indication of a heart attack, stroke or that type of injury which would have caused him to be incapacitated prior to the crash. I was surprised this was not more widely reported at the time, but perhaps, out of respect for the pilot and the gravity of other's injuries at that time, reporters chose to ignore. I am further surprised that I cannot re-find the link, despite my searches. It seems to have vanished. But it does exist somewhere for a digging journo to find as the post mortem itself surely is a matter of public record. I know it was also briefly reported before his funeral that the pilot had not long returned to work after recuperating, over the previous months, from a very serious illness (no idea what) which fits in with his decrease of pilot hours during that period.