PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Abuja Nigeria looking for info: living and operating
Old 14th Feb 2014, 16:55
exeng
Mistrust in Management

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't live in Abuja but do stay there on nightstops.

It is in my view one of the better areas of Nigeria to live in.

I would not be too happy about driving myself to and from the airport from the city at night. Better if you have a driver so at least there are two of you.

Make sure your accommodation has good security.

Food etc is relatively cheap unless visiting large hotels. Same for beer!!

In terms of general security you will be aware I am sure that there are on going issues all over the country. Like any country you can never be absolutely sure you will be safe, but in Nigeria the incidences of kidnapping and worse are an issue. I rarely go out on my own after sundown in any part of Nigeria. However to add some perspective to that statement there are parts of New York City, London and Paris etc where I would not visit on my own at night.

I used to nightstop in Maiduguri and Yola (Northeast Nigeria) but decided to refuse these duties as a result of the on going violence in these places. The company I fly for has now pulled all nightstops for crew from these places

The violence is not restricted to these places but has included many other places including Jos, Kano, Kaduna and Abuja. The North East does seem mainly to be 'where it is at' as they say. Try and find out if you will be required to stay in the North eastern cities - if you are I would not take the contract.

Do a google search on Boko Haram in Nigeria for more info.

Most people in Nigeria are fine and relatively trustworthy in my experience. The main problems stem from poverty and extreme inequality throughout the country. As a foreigner you are often perceived to be wealthy so may be seen as a good target for robbery or worse by a small minority of folk. If you are a 'white' foreigner then you may automatically be assumed to be a 'Christian' by a certain minority young men up in the North East of the country - this could make you a 'legitimate' target according to their doctrine, and your goose could be well and truly cooked.

Be aware of the risks and act accordingly. If you do decide to go, then go with an open mind and don't believe all the negative 'hype' you read about the country and its people. I was quite concerned before I came out here some years ago but have found I have been pleasantly surprised in many instances.

I hope this is of help.

Last edited by Jetdriver; 14th Feb 2014 at 20:28.