PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hello! Central Scotland PPL - where to go?
Old 12th Feb 2014, 17:19
dst87

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Crash one
As a hobby pilot an EASA LAPL would be a good bet, or NPPL. All of which can be up graded at a later date if required.As for ownership/share it depends how much flying you anticipate doing per year.
Have you considered the LAA (Light Aircraft Association)? Self maintenance under the guidance/help of a qualified engineer. A pilot coaching scheme to various standards after PPL. Numerous aircraft for sale or share, all of which you can use to build hours.
Prices range around the used car bracket.
Once you have a PPL think of the tailwheel conversion (LAA coach).
Greater flexibility/choice of aircraft, grass strip flying etc, definitely great fun and a lot cheaper than renting the Flying School spam cans.
Just a thought.
Thanks for the message.

Is there a reason that NPPL/LAPL are recommended over EASA PPL? Is there a significant difference in attainment costs?

I'd like to fly as much as possible once qualified, as long as I have the money, of course!

My main goals would be taking trips up north with friends/boyfriend and seeing our beautiful country from the Sky. And enjoying the wonders of flight.

I did have a trial lesson while at Uni with Edinburgh Flying Club where the instructor said I was a natural... I don't know how true that was, but he did recommend training elsewhere to save money! In any case I loved it

I'll look into the LAA and like the idea of learning some aircraft maintenance. I reckon once I've got the PPL and met some people I'll have a better idea of what options I have for continuing flying. Seriously thinking about Cumbernauld now from a convenience/distance perspective. Will try to give them a call and visit soon!

Really appreciate the advice - keep it coming!