PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Apocryphal Tales
View Single Post
Old 11th Feb 2014, 19:49
Flight_Idle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First week or two in recruit training...

Huge hairy scary looking Rockape Corporal marches in & addresses the class...

"I was five minutes late reporting for duty this morning, so I have put myself on a charge!"

This is quite true, for certain idiocy sticks in ones mind for a lifetime. The young flight Idle did not believe it for one moment, even at that impressionable age.

Just a week or two later, in Sherwood forest, we go onto this sort of 'Camping & initiative training lark, including the 'Rope slide thingy'

The 'Bar' to hold onto was selected by said Rockape Corporal from a piece of wood. I saw it snap under load & one unfortunate recruit sailed down form a tall tree in seeming slow motion.

Soft leaves & twigs saved him, I saw him bounce, I thought he was dead, not moving at all & they shoved him into a land rover.

A couple of days later, he was back on flight & as good as gold.

A couple of days later, a recruit fainted during a first aid film (I seem to recall it was the rotary saw going into a wrist with blood spurting out)

Rockape Corporal screaming "What the F**k are you all doing sitting there, come & sort this man out.

The technical training seemed to be far more civilised, but I do like the Rocks now, looking back on it.