PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Apocryphal Tales
View Single Post
Old 11th Feb 2014, 12:16
oncemorealoft

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cosford Lincoln ghost

My father worked for a Midlands newspaper and was doing a special supplement to mark a major anniversary of the Battle of Britain (probably 40th) which involved working with the RAF Museum contingent at Cosford who supplied many prints of photos. He was told the Lincoln ghost story by the then curator (?) and how the chap had gone out to the hangar in darkness to have the hangar doors opened for him and the lights put on, only to find the hangar empty. Great story for a gullible journalist perhaps -my dad always loved a good yarn. But around the same time one of the Midlands TV Stations had reason to do some filming from within the Lincoln and there is footage of a 'ghostly' figure trying to come up through a hatch into the flight deck area. But when they looked for who had interrupted the shot, no one was to be found! I saw the footage some years ago and it's rather inconclusive and not very ghostly.

The better story he picked up at the same time was the 'high level' ministerial visit of people looking at Cosford's TS2 prototype with a view to resurrecting the project! The story got quashed from on high (so the family legend goes).

Reminds me that I have a box of prints of various WW2 aircraft given by Cosford which we found when he died. Really must send them back!