PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - South Sudan any1? What to buy before?
View Single Post
Old 9th Feb 2014, 06:31
takopalayak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S. Sudan

Yes, I lost 2 friends to malaria, but that over 20 years, so don't get to paranoid about it. I also medivaced several expats from the bush . The company flown them to Europe for treatment and they didn’t make it. The most frequent strength of malaria in Sub Saharan Africa in plasmodium falciparum and it kills about 1 million people annually. It has 25% mortality rate, however chance of healthy man dying of it is small, unless you ignore it. Untreated malaria parasite will eventually move to the brain stem and that’s usually fatal.
So my advice is, if you going there only for short period of time, take prophylactics. If you going to spend there several months or more, the prophylactics will probably kill you before malaria will. They have some serious side effects. Also malaria mutates frequently. Therefore drugs from last year often don’t work anymore. Many drugs in Europe and N. America no longer work. The new stuff is not yet approved in the West. Take some drugs back home with you. You may get sick two weeks after being bitten. Find a local doctor recommended by expats. Many African doctors went to school in Europe or US and are good. But of course there are many rip off artists as well. Lots of fake drugs too.
As far as antibiotics for malaria treatment, indeed I have seen that done. The reason is you often get malaria together with typhoid. However you still need malaria treatment.
As far as flying in the rainy season, make sure you have working radar and know how to use it. Storm scope is nice to have as well. The thunderstorms are very violent and every year there are several thunderstorm related crashes. Don’t be a hero. Just wait 20 min and the storm will move away. Carry extra fuel for wx delays. They usually travel at 20-30 knots. Don’t try to go around them on the downwind site. If you do training at FlightSafety, ask them to program some crashes into the sim and see if you can survive the ride. Hint – use the emergency power lever as a last ditch effort. You will cook the engine, but for a minute you will have probably double the power.