PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Challenger crash at KASE
View Single Post
Old 9th Feb 2014, 02:11
lifeafteraviation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FrankR, that seems pretty spot on to me.

The discussion sort of devolved into hypothetical scenarios rather than practical application but what you said pretty well sums up what I feel....that you can but you probably shouldn't...Obviously some aircraft can do it safely and more easily than others.

Flying over the town at 30 degrees of bank probably isn't a violation, it just makes you an a-hole in the eyes of the airport authority. Similar to landing at HPN after the curfew...they kindly ask you not to.

My main point is that if you don't do it right and it doesn't work out the lawyers will take apart everything you did or didn't do and then proceed to hang you out to dry so you better be absolutely sure you can do it.

As with most things...if you get away with it for long enough, you may delude yourself into thinking it must be ok. Also, just because an operator establishes an approved procedure, it doesn't mean it's flawless and may be subject to review and legal action later after something happens, the difference is that in such a case the pilot is probably exonerated (if he's still alive).