PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UPS cargo crash near Birmingham AL
View Single Post
Old 8th Feb 2014, 08:24
Bergerie1

Received 44 Likes on 17 Posts
I have been trying to find and post an example of the radar vectoring charts we used which were produced by Aerad in the 1970s. I flew for BOAC and then BA. The problem we faced at that time on world-wide routes was that, as radar vectoring became more prevalent around the world, we could never be sure how well these would be used in the many countries we flew to in Africa, the Middle East and Asia.

Yes - as radar vectoring became more common, the rules required radar vectoring minimum altitudes to be established for ATC to use - but on what criteria had the areas and altitudes been constructed? Also, as Aterpster has shown the charts used by ATC are extremely complicated and unsuitable for pilots to use in the air. The next problem was, even if the charts and procedures were well designed, would the ATCO on the day use them properly?

I know I found on two occasions I was not radar vectored safely, and I also experienced other dubious clearances. My colleagues, at that time, also experienced similar unsafe clearances and vectors. When safely established on an airway or SID or STAR, it is easy to check the associated MSA for the segment being flown. But when being radar vectored off established routes it was almost impossible. Yes, one could use the Sector Safe Altitudes on the approach plates but very often these were too crude.

Therefore, we established with Aerad the specifications for radar vectoring charts. These showed a 'target pattern' based on the predominant VOR/DME showing radials and DME distance rings so that crews could keep a constant check of their position when being vectored off route. In green (the colour had to be different from terrain contour charts) the charts also depicted MSA envelopes using the airline's MSA criteria.

Thus, when using these charts, the crew could constantly check the relevant MSA against their position. This was not a perfect solution because sometimes our criteria conflicted with the ATC Minimum Vectoring Altitude criteria. But at least the crew had the means to remain safe when being vectored in some of the more 'dodgy' parts of the world to which we flew.

The world has moved on since I retired! Moving map displays, magenta lines(!) and TAWS, etc. should all have improved a pilot's ability to maintain situational awareness of position and proximity to high ground. Also, even in the times I am talking about, the FAA and most of Europe used good MVA criteria and trained their ATCOs well. But everyone can make a mistake at some time or another. It is absolutely essential for pilots to remain eternally vigilant.

Last edited by Bergerie1; 8th Feb 2014 at 08:38.