PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flags at Bush- Blair press conference (Very Trivial!)
Old 11th Apr 2003, 17:06
Arkroyal
Just a numbered other

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fish

Sorry, everyone, and thanks, tigs, for your support

I was not being political, just trying to find a way of easing my constant frustration at seeing the flag of my country insulted at just about every sporting event, and now, protest.

The ladies' flags were most definitely upside-down, as they were attached to poles, so no chance of a misunderstanding, redsnail.

Must say, I hadn't thought of the possible deliberate act on their part to use the flag as a distress signal by flying it that way. (That may, of course explain its use upside-down at sporting events!)

I rather simplistically associated St Patrick only with the republic, who now have their own flag. Don't know the history of it, but the flag of the North seems to be based on the St George's cross.

Lu will probably remember the 'World Series' about 1993 or 4, when, for once a non US side was playing. I could not believe my eyes, watching the match in a Charleston SC bar, when the US Marines paraded onto the diamond with the flag of Canada upside-down!

The americans around me laughed it off, but when I asked them how they'd feel if Canada, or anyone else, insulted their flag in that way, they said 'That's different' . 'Theirs is just a flag, whilst the stars and stripes is the symbol of the greatest democracy in the world.'

Impressed with the pride, but not the bias.