PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UPS cargo crash near Birmingham AL
View Single Post
Old 2nd Feb 2014, 16:17
AirRabbit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This listing of investigations includes those open investigations involving accidents or incidents which resulted in significant loss of life, physical damage, involve issues of importance to public safety, or which have generated particular public interest. This represents only a small portion of the investigations conducted by the NTSB, most of which occur at the regional level. See this listing of selected regional investigations for more information.
This accident has national safety implications for pilots everywhere in the U.S. What that quote pretty much proves is that the NTSB has their priorities messed up, to say the least.
I’m quite sure that some of my acquaintances (both the positive and the “not so positive”) at the NTSB would probably chuckle at the fact that I’m writing this, but …

I know of absolutely ZERO accident investigations – anywhere on the planet – that are not subject to at least some degree of influence – political, financial, personal, professional, and, likely, a whole litany of others. Additionally, the magnitude of each individual influence is directly influenced by the size of the public interest and the degree of the financial ramifications (i.e., penalties, law-suits, operating changes, replacements, etc., etc.) that are, or may become, involved. For whatever it may be worth, after having been involved in my fair share (perhaps more than my “fair” share) of airplane accident investigations – through one means or another – I remain substantially impressed with the work-product routinely generated by the US NTSB. From my personal observations, the NTSB-quote provided (above) is pretty much the plain and simple truth. In other words, with the numbers of accident investigations conducted by the NTSB (…and, by the way, those investigations involve all modes of transportation in the US – air, automotive/trucking, rail, maritime, and probably others that escape me at the moment) and the fact that ALL such investigations are all directly affected by the resources available to them – both personnel AND monetary – it is only logical that someone, someplace HAS to make decisions as to how much of those limited resources are to be allocated for any individual case. Don’t get me wrong – I have had my share of disagreements with this particular federal agency (some of you may recall my vociferous challenges – and I use “vociferous” as a diminutive term, to say the least – to the conclusions reached in the investigation of the B737 departure crash at Washington National Airport in January of 1982) but my respect for the mission of that agency and, particularly for the individuals working there, has not been clouded or reduced. While it may be an emotional response to “feel” that the NTSB priorities are “misplaced,” when all of the locations and methods that may be available to influence the actual priorities are considered – the bottom line simply has to be that despite whatever concerns or specific objections may occur, the end result is as good as it could possibly be … as long as humans are involved in the decision making. AND from that point forward, it’s up to all of us to take what information is provided and apply it to the way we and our respective organizations conduct our respective professions.