PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airport Noise Complainers
View Single Post
Old 1st Feb 2014, 06:57
Centaurus

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
If I could live under a flight path, i'd do it in a heartbeat.
Pity you couldn't tell that to the professional hypnotist that lived in Belgian Gardens in Townsville in the early Sixties. He lived close to the end of the then Runway 07. We didn't use 07 much because it was a bit short for the Long nose Lincoln and the flight path was right over the suburb.

We had a new CO (Wing Commander Cy Greenwood) - a no nonsense former Beaufighter pilot who became a POW in Japan after he was shot down by a couple of Zero's off Timor. For reasons lost in time (maybe works in progress on 020 (as it was called in those days) we had to use 07 for a couple of days. The noise of four Merlins several times a day at full chat over his house caused the hypnotist to lose his cool and ring the base and blast our CO. We could have told him that only a brave and foolish man would cross Cy "Big Julie" Greenwood.

In no uncertain terms, the CO told him where to go (no political correctness or media fright there in those days). Not only that, the CO told us to deliberately hold down after lift off. Seems the hypnotist would have some patient in a trance when a Lincoln would pass over his house at conservatively 200 feet at +12 boost and 3000 RPM. Now that is a lot of noise I can tell you. The hypnotist quickly got the message.