PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Stanley
Thread: RAF Stanley
View Single Post
Old 31st Jan 2014, 11:25
Old Bricks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Underwater Haulmatics

I was sat at the back of the General's morning brief in HQ BFFI when the door was pushed open by his ADC. This was normal, and usually he just showed a "thumbs up" to indicate that the daily morale-boosting flight by Hercules from Ascension had passed the half-way point and thus had mail etc en route. This time the ADC told the General that there had just been a problem in Stanley Harbour and all the Haulmatics had tipped overboard from a Mexeflote taking them out to a ship which was to take them and their full loads of stone from the airfield quarry round to San Carlos (if my memory is correct). Great consternation - how quickly could they be replaced? Some months, as they would have to be bought and shipped by sea. REs and Navy clearance divers tasked to sort out, and all were recovered, including one or two complete with loads of stone, within a couple of weeks. REME got them dried out and running, and, apart from copious dents, cracked or missing windscreens and wads of seaweed, they carried on regardless. Haulmatics (if that was the right name) were huge dumper trucks, and ISTR there were at least half a dozen on the Mexe, which was a large proportion of the total at the quarry.
Can't remember when this was, but I was there Nov 82 - Mar 83, and I would think this was in early 83.