PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ADS-B Mandate – ATCs Responsible for Deaths?
Old 30th Jan 2014, 05:13
thorn bird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This debate has been very educational when you get past the emotive issues.
There is no doubt in my mind that ADS is a wonderful safety tool, I just cant help wondering why we so desperately needed to do it ahead of the rest of the world, given our traffic density is really quite modest.
I have heard some fairly frightening figures $ wise that it cost Qantas link to comply with its Dash 8 fleet, a figure sure to reflect in the ticket price. Thats the rub really, we once had the RAAF who owned all the airspace and tolerated us civvies using bits and pieces of it, now it would seem Australian airspace is to become exclusively for the use them that can afford it. Of course RPT can spread the enormous costs across an awful lot of tickets, unfortunately GA dosnt have that luxury.
The added penalty CAsA has imposed on the whole industry by jumping the gun comes later down the track, when hapless owners who used Australian EO's try and sell their airplanes overseas, and find that CAsA's world best practice maintenance Reg's dont cut the mustard.
Check thrust's post #217 gives a tantalizing hint that technology is going to overtake the whole ADS debate or debacle whichever way you view it.
I have a very uncomfortable feeling that there will be a whole lot more aerial vehicles swanning about outback OZ nosar no details soon.
Would this have happened if "foster and promote" was in their brief??
.......and meanwhile across the Tasman.....

Last edited by thorn bird; 30th Jan 2014 at 05:28.