PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS332L2 Ditching off Shetland: 23rd August 2013
Old 24th Jan 2014, 13:30
terminus mos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pitts, problem is that the helicopter companies are no longer run by helicopter people, but MBA qualified accountant types with Safety Directors drafted in from other industries.

They don't think that running a helicopter company is any different from a chocolate factory. It's just a quarterly result with an annual bonus cheque.

Pilots are all sore that they don't have a solid door between them and the passengers like big planes do, good heavens, the idea of having to engage with Rig Pigs who might ask a question!

Then there is the customers who pay the bills, they are all evil because they, as Satsuma says, just want to "cram in" as many pax as possible, pay as little as possible and they know nothing about flying helicopters.

So, you are right, where is the innovation coming from? The helicopter industry is still stuck in the last century but with new equipment, for which, after 10 years, they are just developing the correct operating techniques!

The first helicopter operator which shows some leadership and reduces the number of seats in a 332L, EC225 and S-92 to a max of 15 or 16 will set the tone for the industry. There will be little option but for others to follow.

I am not waiting, I have asked our helicopter contractor to de configure both contract aircraft types (225 and 92) down to no more than 16 seats. I have the full support of management for this policy.

We have other ideas to stretch people's comfort zones and to improve understanding and mutual respect.