PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - When noise complaints turn nasty.
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jan 2014, 11:30
envoy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That recording was awesome! Took me back to my days at a base in Queensland where I had the (brief) responsibility for fielding noise complaints from tax payers. I have copped similar spray over a telephone line, and it is quite a challenge to maintain composure.

Some of the complaints were genuine, occasionally heartfelt and on one or two occasions, very sad. Most of the time, you were a focus for stress relief, and once they had let off steam they were generally pretty happy.

Once in a while there were some pearlers. One new local who had recently purchased property (at significant discount) directly under short finals wanted us to re align the runway so arrivals and departures would avoid his farm. "Steer her into the wind, cap'n!"

Another sincere request came from a woman who assured me that her son was very knowledgeable about aircraft, and therefore knew full well that they could fly at 30000 feet and "even higher". Why, then, did they have to come in and land so low?

Sorry for the topic creep... back to the studio!

Edit: Hempy's post shows a flyover of the Range Hut at Evans Head... the damage was NOT part of the annual operating budget...