PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Habsheim
Thread: Habsheim
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jan 2014, 14:08
DozyWannabe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HazelNuts39
I doubt that any of those individuals would have claimed to be 'in charge of that work'.
Poor phrasing on my part - I put it down to a combination of exhaustion and jetlag.

Of course more people and organisations were involved, and I shouldn't have been so sloppy with my wording - but what I was trying to get at was that in Capt. Corps case at least, he was still primarily answerable to his CAA role in determining certification criteria and his role as a consultant would be driven by that as opposed to Airbus's corporate benefit (as rh seemed to be insinuating).

Originally Posted by CONF iture
The BEA has made every effort to confuse the situation and make sure that what should be simple and straightforward is ... NOT.
Er - how are they doing that? If I've got this right, you're talking about an appendix with the raw data over which the BEA have very limited editorial control. Remember that DFDRs were a relatively new technology at the time, and as such best practices were still being determined*.

Apropos of nothing, I find it somewhat ironic that you are criticising the BEA for supplying raw data (which can be opaque and confusing) in this case, yet you were demanding the release of raw data on the AF447 threads and criticising the BEA for not doing so. It seems to me that they can never do right as far as you're concerned.

EDIT :

* - For one thing, the computerised data manipulation tools and techniques which we take for granted today weren't fit for purpose in 1988. These days microcomputers are powerful enough to import vast amounts of raw data into a spreadsheet, and aligning the data visually is as simple as clicking and dragging a mouse. In 1988 there was still a significant gulf between the mainframes and minicomputers used in industry and the microcomputers used in offices and homes. The storage of data in a binary format was far from standardised - and even if that hurdle could be overcome, spreadsheets were only used on microcomputers, the most powerful examples of which in 1988 didn't have the RAM to effectively manipulate that much data.

Last edited by DozyWannabe; 22nd Jan 2014 at 15:41.