PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jabiru Bad experience
View Single Post
Old 20th Jan 2014, 22:12
deadstick1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recap gents,
the 230 suffered a cylinder head overheat on number 4 only no valve seat movement or valve failure, the subsequent bulk strip at the factory, revealed the bottom end was destroyed by the original inadequate thru bolt design.

The 160, dropped a valve seat whilst sitting at idle after the pre take-off mag checks. Upon inspection the cracks in the heads were discovered.

"The word from the engine section regarding the heads is that there is evidence of overheating of the exhaust port areas probably from leaking exhaust pipes. This overheating has resulted in the valve seats dislodging and valve stem damage."

The heads show cylinder creep (ridging) only around the exhaust port.

Fuel used primarily is Caltex 98, but when away, fuelling at other strips they use avgas.

Jabba, My experience on these engines and I have opened up a few, is that Avgas leaves deposits everywhere, the common issue I have noticed caused by it is ring sticking.

I have tried to post pics but cant figure it out, drop me your email and I'll send you some.

Request: can we keep it civil? accusations that the standard operating advice from Jab has not been followed are unfounded and completely wrong. It has been maintained and operate within the guidance and documented requirements set down by the manufacturer.

I get accused of this by Jabiru, always when asking for some kind of warranty or an explanation why their product isn't performing as it should.

But for the life of me can't understand why others have to belittle or be suspicious even after multiple denials, I have nothing to hide I have done everything that the factory has asked.
(My next step will to have a monk bless the bloody thing in hopes of 1000 trouble free hours).